Hong Kong, 6 October 2011 — Citrix Systems today announced the launch of XenServer 6, the most recent edition of its server virtualization product line. As a key component of the Citrix cloud computing and virtualization strategy, XenServer 6 brings new optimisations, improved scalability and better performance for cloud infrastructure, desktop virtualization and networking. XenServer continues to win market share and adoption, fueled by the strong leadership of the underlying open source Xen® technology, the virtualization platform of choice in a majority of the public clouds today.
XenServer was also recently positioned by Gartner, Inc. in the leaders' quadrant of the "2011 Magic Quadrant for x86 Server Virtualization Infrastructure", and was listed as a "Champion" in Info-Tech Research Group's Vendor Landscape report on server virtualization.
As the industry progresses into the Cloud Era, new cloud services are emerging that demand platforms that are purpose-built for cloud computing with requirements that are significantly different from the traditional enterprise data centres. These platforms need to be designed from the ground up to deliver multi-tier, multi-tenant services in the simplest and most cost-effective way, using virtualization as a key enabler. Rather than attempting to force-fit cloud capabilities into existing server virtualization architectures, XenServer addresses these challenges by delivering a highly resilient, cloud-optimised and easily customised virtual platform that helps cloud providers produce differentiated solutions to meet the needs of their customers. In addition, by leveraging XenServer 6 with the recently-released Citrix CloudStack, users can be assured that the core component of their cloud infrastructure has the network and virtualization optimisations necessary for the same scale-out architectures used by the largest and most successful cloud providers in the world.
For customers desiring a cost-effective, powerful, and integrated server virtualization solution, improvements in XenServer 6 make it even easier to download, install and use. Since its inception, XenServer has employed a simple licensing model that does not place artificial limitations on breadth of use or impose cost increases as customers utilise higher density servers with more CPUs and memory for virtual workloads. As a result, users can preserve existing virtualization investments while continuing to grow their virtual infrastructure.
In addition, VMware customers can break free from the escalating cost model recently imposed with VMware's new vSphere 5 licensing plan (often referred to as the "vTax"), but also gain the added flexibility offered by the most cloud-optimised server virtualization solution in the market.
New features in XenServer 6 include:
· Optimisations for Cloud and Service Delivery Networking – XenServer 6 includes full integration of Open vSwitch, a core technology used to build next-generation cloud networks based on the innovative OpenFlow standard. Tight integration with Citrix NetScaler enables hardware-assisted network performance optimisations (SR-IOV) for NetScaler VPX™ and SDX™ service delivery products.
· Optimisations for Desktop Virtualization – XenServer 6 includes HDX™ enhancements for improved TCO and optimised user experience for virtual desktops using highly graphical applications. With this release, physical GPUs can be centrally pooled and assigned to a virtual desktop, enabling direct access and optimal graphics performance. Additionally, the Citrix XenDesktop and XenServer product teams have continued to reduce storage overheads in virtual desktop deployments, using local storage where possible and reducing storage costs dramatically for XenDesktop customers utilising the XenServer IntelliCache feature.
· "Ten to Xen" – In further simplifying the management requirements for XenServer, customers can still install the product and be up and running in a matter of minutes. Powerful automation features help to get the most out of data centre resources and ensure service availability and performance.
· Full Support for Microsoft System Center 2012 – XenServer 6 now provides customers with the option of managing XenServer hosts and VMs directly from their System Centre Management environment – integrating with both Virtual Machine Manager for ongoing machine operations and provisioning and Operations Manager for monitoring and troubleshooting. For more information refer to the Microsoft System Center 2012 beta page.
· Powerful, Open Source Xen Hypervisor Engine – XenServer 6 incorporates Xen 4.1 hypervisor, the latest release of the industry's most popular and secure open source hypervisor. The new version includes advancements for latency-sensitive workloads, improved support for very large systems, and many new security features. See the Xen 4.1 release announcement for a full list of what's new.
· For a complete list of features, please visit: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX130418
Peder Ulander, Vice President of Product Marketing, Cloud Platforms Group, Citrix
"With every release of XenServer, more customers are realising that the vast majority of their workloads do not require the expense and complexity of VMware vSphere. According to analyst estimates, today's average enterprise only has 40-50 percent of its servers virtualized, while ultimately they need 70-80 percent virtualized to meet the demands of the Cloud Era. When customers extrapolate the cost of getting to that point, they recognise the need to adopt simpler, highly functional, cost-effective virtualization solutions."
XenServer 6 is immediately available for download on the XenServer download page.
· Expert Blog: XenServer 6 is Here
· Announcement: Citrix Opens Up the Cloud for VMware Customers
· Expert Blog: CloudStack, The Best Kept Secret in Cloud Computing
· Announcement: Citrix Changes the Game in Cloud Infrastructure with Cloud.com Acquisition
· Expert Blog: OSCON 2011 - Open Source Thriving in the Cloud
· Expert Blog: Citrix and CloudStack, a match made in Heaven (or in the Clouds;)
· Expert Blog: Bringing CloudStack and OpenStack Together
Follow us online:
· Twitter: @Citrix, @Ulander, @XenServerArmy, @bill_carovano @cloudstack, @mrhinkle
· Citrix on Facebook
Citrix Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:CTXS) is a leading provider of virtual computing solutions that help people work and play from anywhere on any device. More than 230,000 enterprises rely on Citrix to create better ways for people, IT and business to work through virtual meetings, desktops and datacenters. Citrix virtualization, networking and cloud solutions deliver over 100 million corporate desktops and touch approximately 75 percent of Internet users each day. Citrix partners with over 10,000 companies in 100 countries. Annual revenue in 2010 was $1.87 billion. Learn more at www.citrix.com.
Issued on behalf of Citrix Systems
by EBA Communications
For further information please contact:
Adam Barty / Lucille Li (EBA): (852) 2537 8022
(email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com)
Citrix®, CloudStack™, NetScaler®, VPX™, SDX™, Xen®, XenDesktop®, HDX™ and XenServer® are trademarks or registered trademarks of Citrix Systems, Inc. and/or one or more of its subsidiaries, and may be registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and in other countries. Xen® is a trademark of Citrix Systems, Inc. managed on behalf of Xen.org, and may be registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and in other countries. All other trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.