Hong Kong – 16 April 2012 – Brocade (NASDAQ: BRCD) announced its participation in a new EMC initiative to deliver Proven Infrastructure solutions for customers looking to make the transition to virtualisation and cloud. The new EMC VSPEX Proven Infrastructure, available only through the EMC's Velocity Program channel partners, can combine Brocade cloud-optimised networking technologies with EMC unified storage and next generation backup architecture, while enabling customers to leverage their server and hypervisor of choice.
Increasing numbers of small organisations are making the transition toward virtualisation and cloud, but many are grappling with the challenges of managing IT infrastructures and ensuring application availability. Further, many do not have the in-house technical expertise or resources available to larger enterprises to smoothly make this transition. To address this need, EMC VSPEX offers customers a simple, efficient and flexible means of deploying virtualisation and cloud technologies, without added layers of IT complexity or risk. In addition, EMC VSPEX is built upon best-in-class technologies that provide customers with an unprecedented level of flexibility and investment protection.
In any virtualisation or cloud deployment, the network plays a critical foundational role in the delivery and migration of data between virtual machines (VMs). Brocade cloud-optimised networking technologies are designed to seamlessly integrate and extend virtual compute in multi-vendor environments to help enable increased network performance, utilisation and resiliency in virtualised architectures. Pre-validated by EMC for interoperability and featured in EMC's new VSPEX Labs, EMC VSPEX Proven Infrastructure solutions provide customers with the ability to choose from the following Brocade networking products:
· Brocade ICX Switches: Available for deployment in VSPEX solution bundles for up to 100 VMs, Brocade ICX switches deliver enterprise-class stackable switching at an entry-level price. Two models are included in VSPEX configurations, the ICX 6450 and the ICX 6610, providing up to 48 ports of 1 Gpbs and 10 Gbps Ethernet connectivity.
· Brocade VDX Switches: For integration with VSPEX virtualisation and VDI solutions that scale up to 250 VMs and up to 2,000 virtual desktops, the award-winning Brocade VDX switch family enables businesses to build data centre Ethernet fabrics, which provide an intelligent foundation for cloud-optimised architectures. The Brocade VDX 6720 is available in 1U and 2U models with up to 60 10 Gbps Ethernet ports. The Brocade VDX 6710 switch features 48 1 Gbps Ethernet ports and six 10 Gbps Ethernet ports in a 1 U design.
· Brocade 6510 Fibre Channel Switches: Providing customers with a choice to utilise high-performance Fibre Channel connectivity for VSPEX-based virtualisation and VDI applications (also up to 250 VMs and up to 2,000 virtual desktops), the Brocade 6510 delivers maximum reliability and flexibility. It is configurable up to 48 ports and supports 2, 4, 8, 10, or 16 Gbps speeds in an efficiently designed 1U package.
"Brocade's decade-plus partnership with EMC has generated a solid relationship built upon the successes of mutual partners and customers, as well as the common belief that certain technology solutions should be offered on an open-standards basis," said Gregg Ambulos, senior vice president, global channel sales, at EMC Corporation. "Through the years, we've worked together to integrate best of breed products from across Brocade's vast networking portfolio with outstanding results. We're very excited about the inclusion of Brocade technologies within VSPEX Proven Infrastructure to deliver flexibility and choice to customers."
The open approach of EMC VSPEX brings together best-in-class technologies from leading vendors to create a set of highly flexible IT solutions. Taking into account the range of variability among IT environments, VSPEX's modular design enables customers to specify their choice of server, network and virtualisation technologies within a pre-validated framework.
Brocade has long subscribed to this open ecosystem philosophy, and has therefore established partnerships with a number of vendors within the VSPEX ecosystem. This deeper level of collaboration affords the customer with an additional level of assurance of interoperability between components of the EMC VSPEX Proven Infrastructure.
"With its deep technology expertise and strong consultative nature, the channel is the logical point of integration for data centre architecture design and private cloud deployments," said Franklin Sze, regional director for Hong Kong and Taiwan at Brocade. "EMC's move toward offering modular, pre-validated virtualisation solutions fully aligns with Brocade's strategy and philosophy to enable its partners to create open, multi-vendor solutions that help customers make a smooth transition toward the cloud."
The Channel as the First Mile to the Cloud
The continual maturation of cloud technologies, coupled with customers' growing interest in integrating virtualisation and cloud solutions into their IT environments, presents an opportunity for channel partners. The channel's unique position within the IT marketplace and proximity to the customer makes them a natural fit as the "go-to" party for consulting and deployment of advanced technologies. To leverage the channel's valuable expertise and technical know-how, VSPEX solutions will be integrated and available via authorised Brocade Alliance Partner Network (APN) and EMC's network of Velocity partners.
As part of its ongoing commitment to drive integrated solutions via the channel, Brocade has announced the availability of programs designed to assist and reward resellers in the selling of VSPEX solutions, specifically:
· Significant discounts on demonstration units to assist partners in populating proof-of-concept labs and increase trial deployments
· Extra percentage points for deal registration to protect partner opportunities
· Specialised Brocade Rewards bonuses to further incentivise VAR sales representatives
These programs, in conjunction with EMC's efforts to drive end-to-end enablement through the channel, provide partners with an opportunity to both capitalise on these current industry trends, while establishing themselves as the trusted advisor to the end customer.
"With VSPEX, EMC is addressing a market need for simple, flexible and efficient virtualisation infrastructure solutions that are easy to deploy," said Scott Look, vice president and general manager of the Technology Infrastructure Solutions Group at Avnet Technology Solutions, Americas. "When configured using Brocade networking technologies, Avnet partners will be able to offer IT solutions with scalable, high-performance networking capabilities already built in, enabling them to provide end customers with the ability to easily add additional functionality and grow their infrastructure according to business demands."
· Video – Brocade's Barbara Spicek and EMC's Fred Kohout on VSPEX's value to the channel: http://youtu.be/zrSOm5npu48
Brocade (Nasdaq: BRCD) networking solutions help the world's leading organizations transition smoothly to a world where applications and information reside anywhere. (www.brocade.com)
Brocade, Brocade Assurance, the B-wing symbol, DCX, Fabric OS, MLX, SAN Health, VCS, and VDX are registered trademarks, and AnyIO, Brocade One, CloudPlex, Effortless Networking, ICX, NET Health, OpenScript, and The Effortless Network are trademarks of Brocade Communications Systems, Inc., in the United States and/or in other countries. Other brands, products, or service names mentioned may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Issued on behalf of Brocade
by EBA Communications
For further information please contact:
Brian Paterson (EBA): (852) 2537 8022